Friday, November 19, 2010

Opposites

Walking home from dropping the kids off at school (not pool, school),
I got caught up in the idea of: do we always want what we didn't have
growing up?

I'm a product of suburbia.
Something that I haven't liked since...
highschool.

And when it came time to buy a house. I wanted something 'in town' and
central to everything. Over the years I've reaped the benefits of
living in the city. Skip trying to find a parking place for anything
in town, just bike.

While walking the two blocks back home I wonder if my kids will want
the opposite. A ranch house out in the country? A 'new' house in some
nicely named subdivision? A place that doesn't embrace cycling? Where
every commute must be by car. Or will they want something that
represents how they grew up? I'm not sure.

No comments: