Sunday, September 28, 2008

car love? could it be?



.... what is one of sixteen in the world, and $160,000? AND broke
down outside of my work today. A rare Shelby convertible. In
search of some 'car karma' I helped him push off to the side, made
some 'car talk' while he waited for a tow. Funny, as I look the car
over, this little car has the worth of my house? Is it even worth
it? No. But always consumed by cars, and now being car free, well..
it was like the first time someone quits smoking, and they go to
the bar......will they bum a smoke? Or buy a car? Well, I walked
back inside (after some documentation or proof) shaking my head.

Getting rid of my car and cycling every where has the same
feeling as taking (or as Carlin would note, "leaving") a massive
dump. "Because no one actually 'takes a dump with them? do they?"
And when I say dump, I mean one of those that makes guys think
they can relate to childbirth, kind of dumps. Where you feel like
you just lost 20 lbs., so you don't need to do any exercise.
That's how I feel every day I DON'T own a car.



So NO, it's not car love. Not even a little spark. I think I'm
gonna make it being car free, and maybe I earned some 'car karma'.
Hopefully it'll help me find the 50 year old in the gold Accord who
followed me halfway to work yesterday honking his horn, jumping up
and down while flipping me off. Angry? Just a little bike hate going
on there? Don't worry, I got your plate number too, and what street
you turned off of before I agitated you with my lowly existence.
Four flats headed your way.

As I pedal my way around town I feel like the only one who got the
joke. The joke of buying into car culture, and how even $160,000...
will leave you stuck on the side of the road.

No comments: