Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a critical mass of one...

... ultimately, every time you decide to ride somewhere, that's
what you become, a rolling statement or reminder, a catalyst for
others to commit to the change. I was unsure how I felt about
Critical Mass, as a statement, an assertion of rights, yes. But
somehow when you're in the middle of it, it feels like a circus.

"Is this really helping cyclists?"
"Will this just add to the tension between cyclists and drivers?"

But when I heard Chris Carlsson would be in town to promote his
book NOWTOPIA, I KNEW I HAD TO BE THERE. When will you ever
have another chance to listen to one of the founders of
Critical Mass?



It was a full house, and the front was filled with bicycles,
a sight I wish I could see everywhere I ride to. Scotty Kellogg
started off the night, and really, he could easily give week long
workshops on changing the urban landscape that surrounds us.
Time didn't allow Scott to go into detail, so luckily he wrote a
book, and I left with it. Hopefully it'll help as I transform
a slab of old grass backyard into a full garden. Convenient that
I sold my car and am planning on growing food in my backyard, and
now the economy is so battered that alot of people have to do the
same thing out of nessecity instead of "being green".



Chris Carlsson, what can I say? Like going to a local show, paying
$5 at the door and discovering your new favorite band after the
second song. You find yourself nodding along in total agreement. It
wasn't a history of Critical Mass, it was the revelation, the
verbalization of those thoughts in the back of your head as you
travel to a meaningless job. The fleeting thoughts as you pass people
on the street that mimic cows being led to the slaughter. Chris
announced there were only a couple of books left, well two left with
me that night. One for myself and one to plant seeds of change in
those I know.



With only a day into reading NOWTOPIA I do have a quote or two,

"Presumably, our "choice" of jobs is the social manifestation of our
personal worth and our life's meaning. Our jobs inform assumptions
about where we live, what we are able to buy, what we "earn," what
our tastes are, and so on."

"The vast majority of us have to sell ourselves to a paid job in order
to survive and it is precisely at that point of sale that we relinquish
control over our lives. Once sold (hired) we must do as we are told
and if we don't, we are likely to be fired and cut off from the income
on which we depend."

As the evening ended, this critical mass of one joined eight others
for the ride back home. The energy carried over into the ride, new
and old faces, and stories shared as we claimed the desolate streets
as our own. Nice to share a casual ride with those who just like to
ride, who have discovered the liberty a bicycle gives. Hopefully I'll
finish NOWTOPIA before Critical Mass next week.


No comments: