Friday, November 14, 2008

livestrong challenge again

maybe it's just something roadies do: FUNd-raisers!

Since I was new to the lycra set a couple of years ago,
it just seemed natural. I started off with the ADA diabetes
ride (still do) since my dad had diabetes and eventually
passed due to complications of. This last year I brought
my son along, he raised his own money and rode on one of
the hottest and humid days ever. I'll still do that ride
since it's well supported and easy to do.

I eventually did the BTS (Brain Tumor Society) ride in
support of a local family, and then of course, just as
roadies geek out on all things light & technical AND
LANCE! Every lycra clad geek wishes to ride along side
Lance, in Texas, in the big FUNd-raiser. Yes, I held
onto that dream for a year. Then they announced a multi
location 'Challenge', and the only East Coast event was
PHILLY! I actually counted down to register, I think my
number was 110 out of 2500+. I was like a tenth grader
getting ready for the big prom! Silly.



I worked the night before, drove over night, slept in the
the family truckster in some hotel parking lot since the
college was a bust. But it was really awe inspiring when
I rolled up to the starting point. The fact that so many
showed up and had beat, were still fighting,or knew some
one affected by cancer. I posted photos of some lost loved
ones on the wall of hope, and took my place.



Luckily I met Tom who was a local, and was keeping the same
pace. So for the next 72 miles I got the guided tour. Philly
is one of my favorite cities after that ride.



Who knew that a close family member would be diagnosed with
breast cancer shortly after that. It became even more personal
as I look at my wife and daughter. Will it be a part of their
life?



I didn't make the next event, and the fund raising has taken
more off a back seat since family members and people at work
start getting annoyed when you're on your fourth or fifth event.

And as a cyclist, I feel like I've 'matured' for lack of a better
word. I don't own a computer for my bike, don't count miles, don't
train. Actually I sold my car, bolt on fenders when it rains,
memorize routes, and battle daily for my piece of the road. And
really try to follow the rules of the road (within time constraints).
I didn't quite see the differance until a new guy came to the
local bike coalition group. He was endless in talk of century club
rides, fund raisers, club ride, and more fund raisers. Yet he had
driven to the meeting, and was planning on driving to the critical
mass ride. I was a little dumbfounded, ok, ALOT. But I kept my
mouth shut and shrugged it off as, "well, at least he showed up here,
and he rides a bike", I guess.

I don't think about Lance much these days, if I'm curious, I'll just
grab the Star or Enquirer, and see what he's up to or dating.

But now Fatty has created Team Fatty for the '09 Livestrong Challenge.
And that little spark has started. At least it's not $500 min. to ride
like the first year (and you had to back it up with your credit card
if you fell short of $500). But we're gonna go for $1000 this time.
So, if you're gonna ride, sign up for Fatty, and help him reach his
goal. I think pink will be the new black.

No comments: