Sunday, December 28, 2008

bad luck days are here (again)

Well, less then two hundred miles and the van is
out again. Screw you Ford for such a crappy build
and pawning it off with Buy American pride. My
Waterford built Gunnar, proud to own. AAMCO
transmissions, swapped the torque converter at
58,000 miles and worked with me on the first time
even though it took over a week. 3,000 miles later
and the tranny is shot again, right before the
holidays. This time it takes 14 days, $600 for two
weeks of a rental car. So that's a HUGE step backwards
on only being a one car family and me commuting. Now
it's going back AGAIN. I truely hate cars for MANY
reasons...



Now I need someone's help. When we had rain and my shoes
became soaked for three days straight, I decided I finally
had to buy some sort of waterproof booties. I saw some
unknown brands and finally decided with the Pearl Izumi
Amphibs. But after an hour in the light rains and wet
streets I rolled into work with soaked shoes & socks.
WTF!? So here's the question: Do you use a caulking/sealant
on the bottom near the cleats?

I don't mind the snow, and I can work with the ice, but the
rain is killing me. This winter isn't making it any easier.



At work, all I could think about was picking up a couple of
slices from the pizza place around the corner of my house.
That was the longest coule of hours, I couldn't change quick
enough. Fought the traffic for a lane and headed towards the
sweet love of pizza.



Now with all the rain, I switched jackets to this O2
rain shell that was a score on Ebay, a short lived
score. I wanted something cheap to breakout during the
rain. And with the late night commutes, I thought the
yellow was a better choice than my usual black. But
after looking in the mirror, man I look like some
cartoon of a lemon, a fat lemon in black swishy
sound making rain pants and wet shoes....

Now I have my pizza, but the Heinekens were at home.
And the bag was half full. Where do I put my slices?
I stack them in a paper bag, wedge them into the bag
and head out the door to a 'rip'. Well, now it looks
like I'll be picking up some extra lights, since I'll
be wearing the black jacket - while I look for a new
rain shell. AWESOME!



With my luck, I expected to see a mangled mess of greasy
cheese and sause. And I realized the grease would probably
leak all over my camera, UGH! Well, if there is anything
good to happen today, it would be dinner.....



open to suggestions on wet weather commuting and pizza
transporting. Two things I seem to struggle in, well there's
alot of others, but I'll take those for now.

3 comments:

erik k said...

so, how is the new bike treating you? It sure looks sweet. Road racing style fenders may work, with studded tires. Also as far as shoes goes, I think the cleat mounting style of road shoes is more water tight on the bottom. Also a trick you might try that I've heard about is putting plastic sandwich bags over your bike shoes, and under your shoe covers. Just cut out a hole for the cleat and it helps keep your toes dry. When you need to take your shoes off, just pull the shoe covers off half way and it will keep the bags in place, saran wrap may work as well. happy holidays and good luck staying dry. rain sucks when your on a bike

TWISTED KNICKERS said...

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily
or... Found On Road Dead

...the list goes on...maybe they can use some of that bailout money to figure out how to make a better car. But, what's with your repair shop? Really. WTF, indeed!

Jason Crane said...

Here's how I transport pizza:

http://www.rocbike.com/2008/08/01/mmmmmpizza/