Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Fatty's Livestrong Challenge

It's easy to get caught up the excitement, and the reaching
for goals and such. To sound like some cancer-fighting-activist
-warrior, suiting up in your lycra colored in pink or yellow
and clipping in to pedal away a horrible disease. And there's
a ride or run for anything out there that needs a cure. And there
are those riders that love to do FUN-draisers, regardless of
the reason. Maybe it's the closest they'll get to racing, actually
able to draft off of someone, and the rehashing of stories while
refueling at a check point. I don't know. At least they're out
there, and in some way making a difference. This holiday season
is already getting to me. Any thankfulness I had after reading
FAT CYCLIST on Thanksgiving (Gratitude 2009) was quickly erased
listening to shoppers saying NO to donations to St. Judes this
last weekend. Come on, REALLY? You have your kids with you at the
register, you're spending all this money on basically 'crap', and
expensive 'crap' at that. And you wouldn't give $1. ONE DOLLAR for
a hospital for sick kids, that only exists through donations.
I'm sorry but people in general just make me sick. I'm sorry you
are a role model of greed and selfishness for your children.....



....THE REASON.

Why I deal with crappy comments & treatment at work (so I can
spend time with my kids while they're young). Why I attend EVERY
bicycle coalition meeting, so my kids can be safe riding, just like
I was able to. Why I enter my photography in shows, so they can
see the art, and explore thier own interests. Why I ride to work,
so my kids can see the bike as normal transportation, and to be
one more cyclist on the road. The reason I ride the ADA diabetes
ride, for and eventually in memory of my dad who had diabetes.

The reason for this ride? My daughter, my wife, my aunt, myself.
Hell, all the people in my life, family and friends. Because I don't
know who will be diagnosed, but I'm sure there will be a couple.
And everyone deserves every chance to survive and thrive afterwards.
Lastly, in the circle of life, a parent should never have to bury
their child. So, who wouldn't give a dollar to help prevent that?
Well, I saw plenty of them this weekend.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled on your blog--like you I also choose to go carless. Thanks for including me on your blogroll. Great photos as well!