Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow days are here...

This year the holiday season kind of snuck up on me.
I'm already a grinch, and the insanity of the season
seems to be condensed into two weeks versus four or
five. Throw in the weather, and I'm WAAAAAY behind.

I raked the leaves when we had the first major frost,
so about four weeks late. The neighbors must hate us.
And I finally got around to putting lights up last week.
The whole time, as I was freezing my ass off, I thought
of Christmas Vacation, it was almost that haphazard.
At the end of it all, it's like a flood light shinning
through the front window. At least the Chinese delivery
guy will find my house with no 45 minute search. You
can see this from the top of the street.



I just laugh at the self imposed irony. Using flourecent
bulbs, growing food in the backyard, riding my bike
everywhere. But then I wrap the entire front of the house
with cheap made in China lights, AND LIGHT UP THE STREET!



Several days ago (right after the ice storm) it was 50.
Of course I put the lights up the day after when it was 30.
Now THE storm is blowing in, snow in LA and LV? Well, it
left about 6-8" here. Not bad, but the first big storm
always puts people in a panic, and this was no different.
Commuting in the evening (after the rush hour) isn't so
bad, just a couple of idiots who still belive 4WHD allows
you to make your own lane and drive fast.



It's awesome to watch the big machines come out. When it
rolled by i realized those tires are TALLER than me (and
I'm not a small guy). Still haven't mounted the Nokian's,
I'm waiting for the beater set of rims to arrive, some
Mavic Aksiums. The hardest part of being a retro-grouch
and refusing to switch to 10 versus the Record 9 - lack
of any selection of ANYTHING!



The Bulldogs got me home. Snow commuting I realised just
takes twice the time - that you're outside freezing. So
the learning process of staying warm continues. You change
the weather 10 degrees and everything seems to change.
But commuting brings back the same adventure as when you
were a kid. I didn't care back then. You got a bike for
Christmas, there could be two feet of snow outside, you
were gonna ride that thing! It's still the same.

No comments: