Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas sucks (in ways)

When really at this time of the year I just wish it
was good. It's too easy to complain. Complain about
about bad drivers, bad car manufacturers, bad whatever.
Every year it just seems the holiday season just brings
out the worst in people, as far as their behavior
towards others. The weather this season hasn't helped
either. Especially when your a commuter.



On Christmas eve morning I headed out to work earlier
than ever, just because I knew there could be crappy
weather. At the end of the street it started with a
sleet-freezing-rain that may as well been ball bearings.
I was prepared with the rain gear, but by the time you
get to work you realize the weak links in your planning.
Wet socks (put the pants over the Amphibs).



Frozen helmet, broken adjustments, frozen bag and one
nasty bike. And quick bolt-on fenders DON'T work on
the Gunnar - haven't even tried the studded tires yet.
The rims just came the other day - so soon.



The only thing that I think has saved me is from getting
clipped is being in full wet weather gear with a face mask.
So with the pink tape & cables - guy must think I'm a 225 lb
girl on a bike, and it's just not cool to run a girl off the
road, unless you're a mom in a minivan or a college girl -
which unfortunately there are plenty of in this town - and I
now seem to have run ins with way too often. You can't win.



With all the craziness of the holidays, I took the little
ones to see "BOLT". Halfway through I get a call that a co-
workers sister had died the other night. I had just spoken
with her several hours before she passed I guess. Her sister
wanted me to talk to her about adoptions and being reunited
with families (something her and I share but were unaware of).
Due to the hectic nature of work, we shared a couple jokes,
said our bye's and see you soon - then we'll talk, guess not.
It's a big cold reality slap in the face - what if this is the
last time you'll see the person in front of you?

One thing (well there are a couple) but a big one is my aunt
is now cancer free - after an intense battle. And now rocks
a beannie she loves. So suiting. And the little ones are happy
(most of the time) and healthy. So at 2:30am after last minute
present wrapping and cleaning on Christmas eve, I was caught
mumbling very loudly, 'Christmas sucks'. Luckily this next
morning proved me wrong, for now.

No comments: