Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Empty streets....

...well, I wish. There's always talk of 'Contested Streets'
(a movie), or 'Complete Streets' (a program), but I'll
take the simple plan of EMPTY STREETS. It's easy, take
a huge pressure to keep up with (and be better than) your
neighbors, mix in easy to obtain credit, use marketing to
get around ANY common sense, and then dump into the lazy
and selfish pan of America, and you get:



A. An overweight, financially overextended SUV driver not
driving due to gas costs.

B. Several people in one car. Does that REALLY HAPPEN?

C. Closure of car dealerships who were banking on the
SUCK-cess of the SUV.

D. Record sales DROPS in the auto industry.

E. Statistically speaking, less assholes on the street.

I'll go with A, B, and D. Because even though I no longer am owned
by a car, I'm still an asshole (judging from the behavior from the
drivers I see daily). And I really don't count how many heads are in
the car that nearly hit me,just the license plate so I can yank the
valve stem cores later, because there's always a later in small towns.

With all the news of financial problems, at least the paper broke
'the latest news' that, well, most auto sales were down 32-38%. Now
that's 2007 compared to 2008. And the previous year wasn't that
good, so I'm gonna guess that 2006 to 2008 is more like 50%. And if
you're a business, well it looks like you'll be out of that business
soon. It's so bad that GM is rumored to be looking to join with
Chrysler (Ford said no).

Now will the government bail out the auto industry? And the airlines
when they go? Wow, we could have state made cars like the.....Yugo?

Locally, four car dealerships closed, which just means less cars going
out onto the road. Now you can argue about job loss, but selling cars
is just as beneficial to the community as selling drugs on the corner.
Don't sell cars, sell...... maybe some economical solar, or how about
a solution to the cable cartel that extorts me to what i figured is
about $2000 a year for my 'all-in-one' package.

I broke the car habit, but my need for worthless time wasting tv
makes me feel like a cheap whore. But that will be next on the list
of things to change.

1 comment:

erik k said...

Im thinking about dumping the cable, and the phone, and internet. Media black out here I come, plus there is free wifi floating around like everywhere now.