Saturday, October 11, 2008

so fixed gear

.....why do I not ride you? I dusted you off for
a late night crawl downtown. I made it three blocks
before I turned around to grab my cross bike. Sorry,
but it looks like you'll be on ebay soon. What is it
that even drove me to build you? My cross bike is the
ugliest bastard of a pile of parts that somehow functions
as a bike. And from the previous post, has become the
fashion equivelant of elastic waist grey sweats. Practical,
and that's all.



Maybe it's the natural or logical step for someone who
has hit 21 and still rides a bmx, or for the late 20's who
wished they stuck with bmx, still want to ride, so there's
the fixed gear alternative. Or for the over 30 set, you can
build a bike that looks like your favorite 80's freestyler,



but no one will give you any shit for riding a 'kids' bike.
Maybe it's the 80's rehash that's filled the mall, music, and
whatever else is looking for something 'new', oh yeah, bikes.



But as I think of the cross bike as the ultimate do everything
bike, but I hate SUVs so much I won't give it that tag. As I
added the fenders for rain, lights to keep from getting hit,
and now swapped out the knobbies for slicks, well, it's become
practical and unstylish, like a rusty wood paneled full size
station wagon, everything a track bike isn't. Maybe that's why
I felt some urge to have one,besides the obvious bike addiction.



But if we were assigning car comparisions, fixed gears are the
mini coopers of cycling. New, exciting, simple to customize,
a perfect marketing for vehicle for hipsters looking for an
identity. At least I don't have minis doing j-turns or 'rockfords'
on the street. They just attempt to scream for some attention
with the British flag roof and checkered mirrors. So...



equals this....



...but chooses this for an identity-



...and in 15 years will be looked at like this.



59cm IRO listing this week, ISO cross with potential,
for long meaningful relationship.

No comments: