Sunday, October 12, 2008

have a cyclist at work?

the other day a coworker with a good sense of humor
initiated the "what if I hide your bike?" jokes.
I reminded him of my love for people hiding in boxes
and jumping out at him. This started the bike shop
list:



Years ago I worked at one of those everywhere ski/
snowboard/mountain bike/skateboard/rollerblade/
running shoe shops. Maybe it's the juvenile mentality
of mountain bikers (definately not roadies), but put
a couple of them in the back of the store, the 'tech
shop' was more like a cave. A cave inhabited by Beavis
and his partner, filled with bike lust, part weighing
weanies, and a wall of tools capable of destruction.
For now i'll skip the stories involving fire and paint
balls.

Quick pranks: most of these were perfected on the Campy
worshipping roadie that commuted home with me, which is
the follow up to a prank, BEING NEXT TO THEM AS THEY
REALISE WHAT HAPPENED. Maybe I found it fair since I was
pushing huge knobbies home everyday because 'slicks don't
belong on a mountain bike!'.

1. saran wrap over the water bottle. lid off, wrap on,
trim to fit, lid on! laughter as they grab the bottle
miles into the ride. as classic as the saran on the
toilet - which you never do at your own house- because
YOU will have to clean it up.

2. tilt saddle nose up, ever so slightly. it's noticable
after 10+ miles.

3. for the newbie that always cyclocross mounted through
the store and rode out the front door: pull the left
crank arm, reinstall 45 or 90 degrees off. be prepared
for them to eat shit as they attempt to click in the
other shoe.

4. 'what's that sound?' take nut/bolt/screw tie to fishing
string, remove seat, tape string to inside of seat post,
drop string with bolt on other end down the seat tube of
frame. put seatpost back in .'what's that "tinging"
sound my bike makes'. 'go buy me a drink and I'll fix it'.

Enjoy your Monday.

No comments: