Tuesday, February 24, 2009

hey! ho! let's go

to Buffalo!



And the Ford defied all odds and lowly expectations, and
actually made the return trip. It says alot about American
quality autos when you budget a rental and repairs into a
road trip. Of course that 'budget' is money I don't actually
'have', but I didn't need to spend it, so it's a push.



I don't know how to put Buffalo into words. For some reason
it's larger than NY's capital, and has better bike shops, a
better bike scene and art scene, but it still ends up big,
flat, and depressing. A blown out photo of a junk truck
in front of a closed manufacturing plant doen't even convey
enough. It's just a larger version of any other NY city.



Just with worse weather. There was only a one day break in
the wind and snow to walk around on Elmwood, which coincidently
is by the University and hold some of the best shops in town.
The sign above? How I look at the best wine shop as I stumble
back from a daily restocking. Awesome is their selection.



As I'm shopping for the missus and grams', I realize. They have
all this wine, but where's the beer? Oh. New York law that you
can't have beer and wine in the same business, well, that makes
sense. So next door they have the widest selection of local, US,
and overseas micros and standard beers. Sweet! That's how I spent
my vacation. Visiting bike shops for who knows what, but I didn't
find it (like those old school still-in-the-bag Campy wool knee
AND arm warmers for $10 each). The remainder spent with kids,
bike magazines, sampling beers, and figuring out where I have
time to brew my own. The missus reached that conclusion for me by
laughing at me.

No comments: