Monday, January 12, 2009

snow days are here

unfortunately I'm an adult and don't actually get
snow days. I just get to ride in it! I got the
Nokian 240's set up and set out on my way, with
an extra hour just in case.




Well, I needed only an extra 30 minutes. Believe it or
not, there was some walking the bike involved. I think
I over did it with the 240's and should have gone 160,
but those were sold out & I'm a slacker and procrastinator.



With ice under slippery soft pack, it often felt like
the first time you put on ice skates. If you can't
relate to that, then imagine riding a bike with flat
tires at speed. Hopefully my balance will improve with
this.



The Blackburn FLEA has outlasted the Planet Bike flasher.
And that helped on the late night freeze fest going home.
When I think, "20 really feels like 5 degrees", it's because
it actually is 5 degrees. That's just NOT awesome. And
being the only one out is a little weird. The excitement
to ride in the crap is over. Pushing the studded tires is
really like running in deep sand. Maximum effort with little
results. The rest of the week is under 15 degrees, and I
really think there's another factor of 'feels like' when
you're on your bike....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like fun...probably until I actually tried it anyway. Love the picture of the street by the way. I've been without a commuter bike for a couple of years now and just take public transportation, walk or carpool. But maybe not for much longer.

libertyonbikes! said...

thanks for stopping in. i'm surprised though, i thought you'ld
definately commute by bike - it's another reason to own another bike.