Tuesday, January 27, 2009

the prelude: the customer is NOT right

It's been -10 to the mid twenties for the last month.
Except for the couple days at freezing that I got out
to stretch the legs.
Five people occupy this small house, not including all
the four legged things.

Problem: The hot water heater started seeping last week.
Problem #2: I am not comfortable sweating pipes, and I
don't take chances with the gas line.
When you know the problem, the solution is usually easy
to slove. Usually.



I made a call to the best plumbing company. "$1350 installed."
It was almost laughable, but I wasn't laughing. This thing is
gonna blow anytime.

So I go to Lowes. $398 for the water heater, and $280 for the
install. That sounds alot better. I load it onto the cart and
head to check out.

"There's an additional $300 for a permit fee, required by the
city" the associate says.

"Are you f@ckin kidding me? The plumbing company told me it's
actually $15 but they charge $30. Not $300!"

"Sorry, the computer and my manager say it's $300."

"Well, you can keep your stuff then."

I check online with the city permits. Homeowner pays under $20.
The installer licensing is $300 for a 'B' permit - which they
should already have.

Call a different Lowes. Get a manager on the phone.

"It's anywhere from $120 to $300 if you live in the city"
she rudely says, as I question the permit amount.

This thing is gonna blow soon.

Call plumbing company back.
"How much just to have my hot water heater swapped out,
just the labor?"

"$125 for the first hour, $95 every hour after, $30 for
the permit."

Go to another store. Buy the water heater for $400.
Carefully drag the fat bastard down to the basement.
$168 later, I have hot water. But that was the biggest
pain in the ass. You screw with customers, you may make
some money, but eventually you'll loose more than you
made.

No comments: