Thursday, January 1, 2009

a New Years product review!

Who would think this blog could provide
ANYTHING of value?

So why not start off yours,and my New Year with
something of worth?

Now, I have the benefit of having several great shops
near by. And I measure that greatness by the people there,
not the amount of bike selection, square footage, or high
end boutiqueness that I'll never afford. I bounce from shop
to shop according to what my needs are at the time. And
becomming a full time commuter, especially through the winter,
those needs have grown with every change in the temp.

Late night winter and visability, and a useless yellow rain
jacket have brought a need for more lighting. I really try
to keep everything streamlined and simple, there's no rack,
and I only take what can go in the messenger bag. (Look for
a bag review as I search for the ULTIMATE bag).

Thanks to Jeff @ CK for hooking me up with this new system
to try out: being local like Norm from Cheers does have it's
benefits eventually.

The Blackburn FLEA - this is the front & rear kit.


Basics: Front - 17 grams 3 hrs steady, 6 hrs flashing
Rear - 17 grams 6 hrs steady, 12 hrs flashing




Kit includes front & rear lights
(each feature 4 Nichia Super Bright LEDS)
two straps
recharge unit



Now the main reason I was so excited, and hence the name FLEA,
this lighting system recharges off of old (or new) batteries.
Any type of battery, and with kids in my house there's always
somthing half used laying around. This is the ultimate in re-use,
partial waste elimination.



And well designed from initial impressions. The recharger is the
size of a quarter, enclosed in a sleeve. It attaches to the lights
and batteries with magnetic connectors. Compact and easy to use.
A D cell will give 30 charges.
Other recommended batteries:
AAA = 1+charges
AA = 3 charges
C = 15 charges

* 9V not recommended, along with batteries NOT 1.2 - 1.5 volts.

The light blinks as it's charging, and stops when fully charged.



Right now I'm impressed with the intensity of the LEDS. Staring
directly at them leaves flashing spotsfor a minute. And they are
half the size of the Planet Bike rear flasher that I'm currently
running.

Check it out at your local shop. At $49-55 retail, it's a bit steep.
But not having to ACTUALLY BUY batteries for it, I think will pay
off. I'll update this with my next commute, along with the

Mavic Aksium/Nokian 240 winter wheel build tomorrow!

No comments: