Friday, January 9, 2009

nothing news worthy



Never have I said 'BAD DOG" so often. Then again I've never
had a puppy, well once, but he was a quarter the size of buster.
Buster the bad dog. It's like someone shoved five little kids
into a dog suit and fed them candy bars for a week. Bad dog.
He's taken to trying to eat the dinning table now.



What gets me through it? GOOD COFFEE! Bad Ass (my favorite that
gets shipped to me once or twice a year) from Salt Lake. Kona
that runs something like $20 a pound, it's gotta be good!
Fresh ground, yummy!
*note- I won't buy it, BUT if someone ships it to me- I'll drink it.



On freezing ass days, there's not too many people coming through
the gallery. This allows alot of reading and planning time. Not
like anything becomes of those plans, it's a fake reassurance of
what I want to accomplish. Somehow if I write it, it will happen.
Yes, there are lots of 'lists' laying around. I would do a New Years
resolution list, but, that would be another list laying around.

I guess for here I could resolve to:

1. Post more often.
2. Complain less (bad drivers, job & bad politics & economy).
3. Not buy a car (even when its 10 degrees and miserable).

So that's a great lead into the above book. It's one that you read
a page, then have to reread it, just to get the whole point. I'm
still not even a quarter the way through, I just keep rereading
sections. I wish I had copies to hand out to everyone I knew.
Maybe to pull some uncredited quotes & lines from it:

"we have become a nation that places a lower priority on teaching
its children how to thrive socially, intellectually, even
spiritually, than it does on training them to consume"

"in a world of too many commodities and too few shoppers, children
become valuable as consumers'

"for consumer capitalism to prevail you must make kids consumers
or make consumers kids"

It goes on and on. Something to really think about. Where do you
fit in as a consumer? Can you see through the marketing? Can you
remember what it was like as a kid? When did "mom & dad" have to
be so cool? After every kid had the new ipod or phone or clothes?
Then "mom & dad" needed to keep up with the kids along with the
"Jones's" next door?

Now for the finishing blow - lets' ship all manufacturing jobs
overseas. We now become a buying nation, not a selling/producing
nation. So now we spend more money and make less money. So lets
open up the credit markets, so it's easier to keep citizens
spending. Let's do that for over two decades, now where are we?
Oh yeah, in debt, surrounded by lots of 'stuff' that we don't
NEED.

Buy the book, and analyze your life and spending habits.

#4 resolution,
I'm not your consumer.