Friday, July 24, 2009

because you didn't as a kid

There are lots of pros and cons to living IN a city.
As a kid growing up in the suburbs out west through the 80's,
I had no idea.
You went into the city to see shows on the weekend,
and try to get home without incident.
It was always an adventure.


In the 90's we moved more in town as I went to college.
But at the time, I was more occupied with other things
than to notice architecture.
The only thing you noticed with buildings:
HOW SKATEABLE WAS IT?
That's all that mattered.

At the end of the 90's we moved across the country.

And that's when you learn,
your reality is only based off of what surrounded you as you grew up.
All of a sudden there was history.
Not from the late 1800's,
but from the 1600's.
There are still cobblestone streets.
Houses were constructed in 1920,
not 1970.

The biggest thing for me?
Brownstones!
Row houses!
When you grew up surrounded by ranch houses,
you embrace something new, or in this case, old.

I was like a kid in a candy store in DC.
There was not enough time to shoot everything I wanted.
Next time there will be time budgeted to explore more.

But I learned alot about myself on this trip.

No comments: